- The division of marital property
- Spousal support
- Child custody
- Child support
What You Can Do To Influence the Court’s Decisions in Your Oklahoma City Divorce
- Be prepared. Don’t rely on your attorney to do everything. Prepare and bring copies of any documents pertaining to your divorce settlement that you and your attorney believe will be necessary.
- Remain calm in court. Many of the issues that need to be resolved in a divorce can evoke a great deal of emotion. However, don’t do or say anything in court that will reflect negatively upon you and jeopardize your settlement demands.
- Only speak when spoken to. This is accepted courtroom protocol. Do not address the judge unless he asks you to do so. If you have a comment or concern to voice, discreetly let your attorney know what your concerns are or that you need a few minutes to discuss something with him. Otherwise, make a note of your concerns and discuss it with your attorney later.
- Tell the truth. There may be things that you don’t want the court to know or prefer not to share in court, but it will be much better for your case to appear as someone who has made some bad choices than someone who is dishonest. Judges do not look kindly on those who lie in court, and if you are found out, you will have a very difficult time convincing the judge to believe any statement you may have made, or any you make subsequently.
- Enlist the services of an experienced divorce attorney. Having an experienced divorce attorney on your side will provide you with the skills to resolve the issues you have with your divorce settlement before going to court; and if not, it will significantly increase your chance for a more favorable ruling by the court.
Free Consultation: Oklahoma City Divorce Lawyer
Whether you envision a quick, easy divorce or you are preparing for a difficult, high-conflict divorce, a skilled Oklahoma City divorce lawyer can provide the skills you need to move your life toward a more stable future. Call us today to find out how a family law advocate can ease your worries and help attain the outcome you prefer.
We offer initial consultations at no cost. Discover how our family law knowledge can help you through a difficult time. For a free consultation with a reliable Oklahoma City divorce attorney, call (405) 880-8222 today. If you prefer e-mail, send us your question using the “Ask the Lawyer” form at the right side of this page.